Karen is an expert on the full range of issues relating to local government, including:
- advising on the interpretation of a range of legislation on issues such as the exemption to pay rates, or the circumstances in which a highway may be closed;
- preparation and certification of by-laws;
- guidance on governance issues, both for formal council meetings and in other circumstances;
- assistance with code of conduct matters;
- making a “right to information” application for documents from a public authority;
- advising on the amendment of sealed plans;
- compulsory acquisition of land or interests in land; and
- advising on a range of issues relating to strata titles.
Her expertise extends to all aspects of planning law and enforcement of a range of matters which arise in the local government context.
With almost 10 years’ commercial litigation in a boutique Sydney firm, Karen also has a vast experience in dispute resolution including in relation to development, such as:
- acting for construction companies, individual builders and homeowners in relation to construction disputes;
- making and defending steps taken pursuant to the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payments Act 2009;
- recovering outstanding debts in the Magistrates Court of Tasmania or the Supreme Court of Tasmania;
- advising on contractual obligations; and
- providing background advice to assist clients to negotiate practical and pragmatic solutions to construction disputes.
Karen manages the Local Government, Planning & Development team and welcomes any questions you may have about the services we provide.